Friday, May 8, 2015

What Do I Really Want?

I think I should probably make the goal of this year-long project to blog as often as humanly possible instead of every day. Because I completely forgot to blog yesterday! And with a very busy weekend ahead (S's birthday and Mother's Day), I probably will not blog again until Monday.

In any event, I've been listening to Brooke McAlary's Slow Your Home podcast lately, and it really has me stewing on several things. Basically, I think I really need to evaluate what it is I really want. So much of my desire for a house comes from feelings of inadequacy for living in a condo. If I am honest with myself, I  want to keep up with the Joneses. I tell myself that that's not true... that I don't want a huge house, just a house. And that I want a house for a multitude of reasons, not just because everyone else has one. But when it comes down to it, I often find myself thinking, "Once I have a house, then I will be happy." When really, true happiness comes from within.

It's not that I plan to abandon my goal of buying a house next year. However, I do plan to spend a little more time exploring what I really hope to achieve, and make sure that I'm doing this for the right reasons, and not just to please or keep with others. I really want to work on my inner happiness and find contentment right where I am. I think that's an important part of the process toward moving on. If I can't find happiness here, then there's a good chance that the house really won't make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment