Monday, August 16, 2010

Slowing Down

This weekend was a whirlwind of house projects. Matt installed a new faucet in our bathroom, as the old one started spraying a dripping. It's something I've wanted to do since we moved in, since the faucet has always been ugly and 80s. So that project unfolded with lots of soaked towels, piles of unused lotions and potions on the bathroom floor, and tools and caulk taking up residence on the vanity.
 
Instead of just focusing on that and getting it done, we also decided to spend Sunday morning at Ikea, and buy a blackout shade for Sebastian's room, and the gray rug I mentioned in my last post. And we also sold our old yellow couch on Craigslist, and delivered it to the buyer. There was a lot going on.
 
I still need to set up the playroom, since now it just looks like a weird mishmash of furniture instead of a neatly defined room. But last night, as tools were everywhere, and rooms were a mess, and I could feel my blood pressure rising since it seemed like it would be FOREVER before we could get things back to normal, I just had to take a timeout. Slow down. Pack a makeshift picnic, throw it in the stroller basket, and head down to the park. Where the cool breeze whipped around my hair and I squinted into the sunshine, watching a tiny little boy reach for his daddy's hand and scramble up the stairs of the slide. Then the two of them came twirling down with big grins on their faces, and I was able to leave the mess at home, not worry about "accomplishing" things, and just take in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment